Monday, October 8, 2012

The Hole in Our Gospel reflections

Tim & Theresa Oloffson in 2007
About a year ago my world and perceptions were rocked when I read the book "The Hole in Our Gospel" by Richard Stearns. Mr. Stearns is the President of World Vision US and tells his life-altering encounter with God and how he responded to this "calling" God put on his life. I had a similar experience when I first traveled to Romania 6 years ago this month. Before my trip my life was a pretty hum-drum life that consisted of playing golf, watching sports on TV, involvement in my church, and other family activities. Unfortunately, that list might have been in the order of my priorities. However, God touched my heart in way I could never imagine. Through the smiles of beautiful orphan children my life was forever changed on a day in October 6 years ago. Thank goodness for God's faithfulness to me. Without his continuous grace in my life I would have not ever been able to see life through his eyes. My eyes were clouded with selfishness, greed, and many other of those deadly sins.

But the Hole in Our Gospel book made me realize even more how other people in our lives wear that same pair of glasses that I once wore (and still do at times). I look at these people as good people with solid Christian behaviors but am amazed on how they don't see what others who have traveled overseas on mission trips on into the underdeveloped places in their communities the overwhelming needs that people have. The injustice issues that strangle the life out of families who try to shrug off that yoke on injustice so they can provide a better life for their families.

2007 Mission team
ACF's role in "doing" ministry work here in the U.S. is to WAKE people up to the true meaning of faith and how we are to respond to God's love in which he gave to us through his crucified son. A son who gave up everything so that we can live with Him in peace and harmony. For years I thought being a Christian was going to church on Sunday's and by being a good guy the rest of the week. Unfortunately, I probably meet MY goal of being a Christian. But our gracious God demands so much more of us than the Sunday morning experience. Living the Gospel message means more than salvation and forgiveness of sin. The Gospel also means to prepare His kingdom here on earth for his return. The Beatitudes tell us of a world where the order will be turned upside down. I believe this might be God's mission statement.

Matthew 5:3-10

New Living Translation (NLT)

The Beatitudes

3 “God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him,
    for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
4 God blesses those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 God blesses those who are humble,
for they will inherit the whole earth.
6 God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice
    for they will be satisfied.
7 God blesses those who are merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 God blesses those whose hearts are pure,
for they will see God.
9 God blesses those who work for peace,
for they will be called the children of God.
10 God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right,
for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
 
I hope you will come back often to the ACF Blog as I continued to share how God has altered my life in amazing ways and how ACF is positioned to alter the lives of children in Romania as well as people throughout the U.S. as we learn what it is to be a follower of Jesus.

No comments: