Monday, December 31, 2012

A Journal

I kept a journal while I was in Romania. I don't really keep a daily journal at home, but I have always kept a journal when I travel. I just don't want to forget a single aspect of my adventures. When I keep a journal, I basically just write down all of the things that happen each day. For example, "Went to group home and played Uno with the girls." My journal entries are devoid of emotion. It's pretty basic and quick. I've always thought they would be fun to read back over later on in life and they do help me figure out what monuments and cities I am in when looking through the hundreds of pictures that I took. When I return home, they usually get packed away in a neat box of mementos that I have from the trip. 

For some reason, unbeknownst to me, my Romania journal has floated around my room for the past 6 months since I returned home. It hasn't been packed away for the future. It has sat next to where I charge my phone each night. I don't even have to open its pages to remember the words written inside. Even though the words only recount the events of each day, the emotion floods back with them. Most of the time when I was recording things in my journal, I was either sitting on the bumpy bus or getting ready to go to sleep at night. I can remember trying to frantically write each word before it got too bumpy or my eye lids closed.

God has written my story and the time that I was in Romania was a gift. My recorded words stand as a testimony of the amazing things He is doing there and the work He is doing in me. I don't want to forget those things. My Romania journal has sat as a reminder to pray for the things God is doing there and for all of the sweet people I met. It reminds me that God is constantly moving, both in Romania and in me!

Do you keep a journal?
Can you look back through it and see God moving in your life?

No comments: