Friday, June 19, 2015

Why I Support A Child Through ACF

Me and Cristi 2015

This is my fourth trip to Romania, and each year teaches me something new. I forget from year to year how satisfying the work we do at the Point of Hope is. I remember how much I love it and how fun it is, but it’s the satisfaction I have right now, that I tend to forget. It is a satisfaction that comes from seeing how much of a difference this program makes in the lives of these kids. And I’m not talking about the few weeks I am here each year; I’m talking about the program carried out by the dedicated staff at the Point of Hope year round. If you just look at one boy who I've gotten to know since my first visit to Romania in 2010, you would see the growth he has shown is amazing! I look at Cristi now and see the man he can be, which wouldn’t be possible without the Point of Hope. The children in this community grow up in a poverty we, as Americans, can’t fathom. And their society tells them that this poverty is all they deserve, so they believe it. They repeat what they know from watching their community and the passed down feelings of worthlessness and shame continues. Point of Hope comes in and tells them, “You are worthy!”, “You can accomplish anything!” and “You deserve more!” Then they equip them with tools and habits to accomplish more and show their society that they do not fit into the societal ideal of what a Roma is. This helps break the cycle of prejudice and will hopefully lead to them building a better life for themselves and their families. The Point of Hope staff are truly my heroes! I can’t sing their praises enough!

Amanda Cox
Houston, TX
Cristi in 2010

Crisit 2014

No comments: