Thursday, July 12, 2012

God please just tell me what to do!

I honestly cannot believe that I am even writing this post from Romania. I never thought that I would have the chance to have this opportunity and be this blessed by it. When I first began praying for this mission trip it was the summer of my sophomore year. I was a little skeptical about going clear across the country though. I did not know if it was truly what I wanted to do.  I was on a youth trip with my church to Mississippi College for a Fuge Camp when I spoke to my youth pastor, Brad, about it. Telling him my concerns and whatnot. He looked at me and simply said, "Lindsey, pray about it." All throughout the sermon that night I prayed, "God please just tell me what to do." We broke out into our church Bible study groups and when we walked into our room and there was a map of Romania covering our walls. Brad looked at me and said, "I guess your going to Romania." I began to seriously prepare myself and think about how I was going to go about it doing it. Throughout  the next two years I honestly could not have prepared myself for what I was going to experience in these twelve days here.

            July 4th, 2012, the day of departure, came faster than I ever believed. We arrived at the airport to board the plane, with church members there to tell us goodbye. We boarded the plane and took off for Dallas, Texas. We only stayed in Texas for a little while and soon boarded another plane, our next stop, London! Aside from a layover in London, we finally arrived in Bucharst with a three hour drive to Predeal. In Predeal we enjoyed our first Romania meal Schnidtzel and French Fries, yes you did read correctly! The next morning we toured a Romanian Castle and then another drive. Our destination, Targu Mures. We stayed there for two nights, and attended Libertatii Church on Sunday Morning. Although the service was wonderful, we soon found out that many places in Romania do not have central air condition. It was extremely hot and we were definitely out of our comfort zone, but we soon remembered that not everything is always going to be comfortable for us and there was a bigger purpose for why we are here. Sunday evening we were given the wonderful opportunity of leading worship for the same church. We sang a few songs we prepared over the year and attempted to sing one song in Romanian. Yesterday we began work at the Point of Hope center where we are leading a Vacation Bible School for children ages 3-10. We are having Bible study, recreation, music, and crafts. I have helped with many Vacation Bible School's in the last few years, and I can honestly say that I have never experienced something as wonderful as this. I was totally not expecting for the children here to touch my life as they have. We came here to change their lives when they have truly changed ours. You can see the desperation for love and affection in their faces. They are polite and cordial, they say "I love you!" at every chance, they smile and laugh, and it touches your heart. At music time they sing all the songs and do all the hand movements. You can tell when it is rec time because they run for the door. Now here is a heartbreaker, meal time. These children are given two meals while they are at the Point of Hope, one when they arrive in the morning and one right before they leave. These meals may be the only thing they eat until they come back the next day. Now think about that when you say, "I'm starving!" This has definitely touched many of us as we sit down to eat at night. We know where our next meal is coming from, these kids don't. The Point of Hope gives the kids a bath two or three times a week. This may be the only chance they get to bathe. Even here in Romania we have not missed a bath, and to these kids it is a special occasion if they do!! But no matter what kind of clothes they are wearing, no matter how dirty they are, it never fails that the kids are wearing a smile on their face. God never ceases to amazes me. We are truly blessed to experience this and see the wonderful work he is doing in the lives of these children and volunteers. Continue to pray for the volunteers of Another Child Foundation, the Point of Hope, and Buckner.



Lindsey Davis
First Baptist Lafayette
Romania 2012 Team

No comments: