Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Reflections of a Most Awesome Experience!

      Well, the suitcases are empty and the clothes and toiletries all neatly put away, but I find that the "unpacking" of the mission trip for me is just beginning. I have been tired these few days and find that there is blessing in just sitting, for its in the quiet that the events of the most unbelievable 11 days I spent, begin to come to mind one by one and I can think about what they taught me or just treasure the memory. I share with you just a bit of those things "unpacked"  today, and know that I could easily write another reflection tomorrow as well as in the days to come with other things that speak to my heart. Today, everything revolves around "smiles." :)
       I smile at myself for all the fears and doubts that I wrestled with in deciding to go on this trip - how ridiculous they were!  I flew over the ocean not once, but twice, and felt not even one bit of turbulence and was entirely embraced in peace (but I still didn't look out the window) :). I arrived in a country that was filled with friendly people, many of whom spoke English; a country filled with beautiful hills and mountains, dancing streams, and charming old buildings with clay tile roofs. I enjoyed nothing but comfort and more than enough every moment I was there. I also discovered there are so many things that I could easily let go of when I get home.
       I smile to know that amidst all of the incredible poverty I observed surrounding the Point of Hope Development Center (CDC) buildings and the incredible conditions that many of the orphans we came to serve have lived with, I had the opportunity to see the impassioned and lovingly committed work that has begun thanks to Dacian, Gabi, Tim and those associated with Buckner Romania and Another Child Foundation  to provide hope, healing, education and opportunity, a better life, and the evidence of God's love at work in very real ways.
        I smile to know that I was allowed to be "one of the ones" to get to communicate the messages: "YOU MATTER! and DARE TO DREAM!" in my unique way to a group of young people whose circumstances have often communicated quite the opposite.   
        I smile when I think of the absolute beauty of each face that got off that bus the first day of camp.
        I smile when I recall the way that those young people took care of each other, cheered for each other, and thoroughly enjoyed EVERY MOMENT they were given at camp.
        I smile when I remember the first time I heard the whole group of children sing their worship songs and dance.
        I smile when I remember the look on the kids' faces when they created something in crafts, when they laughed during minute to win it games, when they received new shirts, when they saw how that tie-dye shirt turned out, when they learned to plunk out a tune on the keyboard, when they  enjoyed all the fun games, .....when for just a short time, they were able to feel safe and loved and let all the concerns of life go.
        I smile to think that these children are so very much like every young person I know. They still have to be on their cellphones from time to time, still love to shop and spend time with their friends, still are crazy about boys, still are unsure about who they are....
        I smile when I remember seeing the first smile on that somber face of the child that had been hanging back a bit, feeling that hand slip into mine just for a while before going off to join in some fun, that hug without words that said volumes, that proud face as her drawing was cheered for at the talent show, and the absolute joy in watching themselves in the camp video and pictures.
        I smile when I think of those cards full of writing of either "thank yous" or "God, I need you to know ..." to be released at the balloon launch, and the kids' absolute joy and wonder in helium balloons being released simultaneously to effortlessly float miles and miles in sight over tree-covered hills.
        I smile at one deaf young lady finding that there were not one but TWO people there that also knew sign, and the relief to know that she would be included by the adults as well as all of her friends there.
        I smile when I think of how the kids loved and loved on Tim and Theresa - evidence of a special love developed because they don't forget and keep coming back.
        I smile when I think of the incredible young adults that volunteered their time, their gifts, their energy and creativity, their caring, and/or their gift of knowing two languages.
        I smile to think that I was entrusted with hearing about being worried about having to go to a new school next fall or that others might not like what they did for the talent show.
        I smile to think of the blessing it was to allow myself to be stretched out of my comfort zone, to trust, and to choose to live life generously and rooted in love.
        I smile to think of all of the unbelievable Christians that were woven into my life to serve with and learn from this week. I pray that this is just the beginning of friendships.
        I smile through tears as I  cling to the hope and belief that I will get to see those special young people again, that I will be able to keep in touch if I put forth the effort, that I can communicate their stories to others who will also want to do what they can to make things better, that God will continue to send people and situations across their paths to guide and bless them, and that things can change for the better.

       I smile......and exhale my "Thank you" for the most awesome experience!

And there you have the reflections from this day :)
Karen Goy

No comments: