Friday, June 24, 2016

Joy and Grief Equals Growth!

As each trip winds down you can really feel the relationships deepening. The kids really open up and share some of their hardships. We challenge the team members each day to find out the stories of at least one child each day. Some of the team members find this very easy, others not so much. As a leader myself I felt uneasy having these kids open up all of their pain to me. After a few years I really began to understand the healing process that begins when you share your hurts with others. I know this group is great at being in prayer for these kids. Their trip leader Tina Anderson does a great job of mentoring the entire team. ACF is very thankful to have Tina and the other adult leaders showing their strong Christian example to the youth on this trip!

Katy doing the soccer thing!
Wow! Today was a crazy day! But it was full of amazing experiences that will stick for a life time. This morning, the Bible study was about how we have all sinned and how badly we all need Jesus to be forgiven and saved. We opened to floor to any and all questions the kids might have concerning anything about the Bible at all, even if it wasn't part of the lesson. There were so many good questions and I was so happy to see these kids so interested in something like this. Each child is unique and precious in their own way, I have completely fallen in love with them. Tomorrow is the last day of VBS and I am already dreading leaving them. Five days is such a short time to make connections and build relationships, but they have opened themselves up to us so much these past few days it is amazing. Of course there has been plenty of drama and sometimes the kids don't like to play nicely together (to put it mildly). There has been just as many challenges as there has been good times. I am grateful for both because while the happy moments encourage us and make fill us with joy, the hard things are what helps us grow and builds our character and makes us realize how dependent we are on God. Thanks to everyone back home who is reading this and praying for us! - Katy Anderson



Blaire and our Romanian volunteers
Here is Blaire's account of the day!
   This is my first time at camp and I see why my sister, Bailey has loved it so much! We are witnessing God doing great things in these kids lives. Now that the week is coming towards the end, we notice the more the kids are opening up more. This is kind of bittersweet, because we are leaving soon and are just getting connected with them. It's truly touching to hear all the stories of these kids. Although there is a language barrier, we have awesome translators to help us along the way. I am glad that I get to be apart of these kids journeys getting to know the Lord. I hope that we have put an everlasting knowledge of how much God loves them! 






No comments: