Sunday, June 19, 2016

Day #1 at Camp Harghita!

Cookie Monsters!
I am sure most of you have experienced camp either as a participant or as a leader. Camp is a very special time for all kids. However, when you are an orphan in Romania camps mean even more and the relationships you develop during this very special week make a bigger difference than most people can imagine. The theme for this years camp is LOVE IS... The team has the goal of showing through their actions, words and love that God does indeed love them and that the true definition of LOVE begins and ends with our creator.

Below Candy Lind from Walnut, Illinois shares my the time we invest into these children;s lives does 'make a difference'.


Today the kids arrived at camp.  Having been here before, I did know what to expect.  The bus would drive up, we would wave and smile; and timid, nervous kids would climb down the steps after a very long and twisty bus ride.  Something happened, though, that was unexpected.

Before I share this experience, I would like to share with you something Gabi, our Romanian camp coordinator, talked about at tonight's team meeting.  She mentioned that we are making lasting memories on these kids.  This week might be the most fun they will ever have.  The WILL remember us.  With that said, I will go into the unexpected.

Two years ago there was a boy who desperately needed love.  He would hug, hold one of our hands, or rub an arm at any chance.  Although he spoke very little English, he communicated with us his great need for love.  Well, Facebook can be a great thing.  I was able to become "friends" with him, and with the wonderful technology, we have been able to communicate though this network -- translation taken care of!  A few days before camp, this boy messaged me that he missed me and loved me.  I knew he was coming to camp, but I was a bit leery about the first face-to-face meeting in just under two years.  Would the words typed on Facebook hold meaning?  Here is the unexpected:  they held much more meaning than I could have dreamed of.  When this boy got off the bus, he made a beeline for me, giving me a hug that was better than anything!  The squeeze was completely genuine!  The connection from two years ago meant something, and I am looking so forward to continuing to show this young man unconditional love that he so greatly needs.

We make lasting memories all of the time.  Some are good, and some are bad.  We need to always be aware of this and take advantage of the opportunities that God has laid before us, keeping in mind that impact we have on those we come into contact with.  

I appreciate the continued prayers as we jump into the VBS program this week! - Candy Lind

Thank you Candy for making the choice to invest some of your time, resources and love to make a difference!

No comments: