Sunday, June 19, 2016

Jacob, Jacob, Jacob!!

One of the coolest things that the team leaders of our trips get to  experience is how others make connections. The first day is always the hardest because of many items. But, once the ice-breakers are over the kids settle in nicely and relationships begin to blossom. It never ceases to amaze the people on these trips on how loving, giving and accepting these children are. Below Jacob Smith shares how his first day went.

Today was a day full of mixed emotions. Waking up this morning I had a mind full of excitement  yet uncertainty and anxiety. Not knowing what to expect from the kids and being uncertain in  what I would say or what exactly I would do with the kids was what was making me nervous. I  wanted to make a lasting impact on the kids as early on as the first day and get settled in for the  rest of the week with the kids. As the kids and translators got off the bus I was overjoyed to see  all the smiling eyes and faces from them. As the day went on and I was around the kids more  and more, they started to smile back at my and try and pronounce the name on my name tag  and I would try and pronounce their name and give them a high five in return. Later during some  of the free time I had kids wanting me to pay attention to them and pulling me in all directions  saying Jacob, Jacob, Jacob! Whether it was playing soccer or volleyball or hanging out with  them outside or in the chapel I had come across basically every kid at camp. At the end of the  night during the minute to win it games in the chapel I was picked to participate in one of the  games. When I went up a lot of the kids said Jacob, and gave me a thumbs up as  encouragement. It felt like I had my own fan club. Kids wanted me to sit next to them to make  handshakes, say high and talk, or to feel my arms haha. All in all I had a great day and was so  happy to meet most of the kids and make some great friends as well. - Jacob Smith

Another Child would like to encourage anyone who is interested in being involved in one of these life-changing trips to CLICK HERE for more information on our mission trips. Our trips are specially designed for the person who has not done a lot of international travel. Our trips are also safe but still impact everyone involved.

No comments: