Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Fruits of the Spirit: Mission Trip Edition


As silly as it may sound, every time I work with kids I can't help but be reminded of the fruits of the spirit song. I guess it is because it is so easy to see each "fruit" exemplified in the children and the mission experience. In the past two days alone, while working with these sweet kids, I have experienced every single fruit of the spirt.

Love: This morning when I walked into the preschool room I was immediately greeted by hugs and children that wanted to play with my hair or sit in my lap.

Joy: They can raise a joyful noise. There is no doubt about that. The time that we have set aside for music has been one of the sweetest times for me with the kids. It is special to hear kids singing or dancing along with you and just acting silly.

Peace: Every day our plan has had to change, from changing our travel plans to the way we organized the VBS, but with each change there has been overwhelming peace (which for a type A person like myself is very unusual). This peace amongst the chaos can only come from the Lord.

Patience: Today I found myself surrounded by numerous kids all trying to teach me how to count in Romanian. Apparently I am not very good at it, but the kids were patient and resaid each number until I was able to say it correctly.

Kindness: Our three translators could cover all 9 of these, but most of all they have been very kind and gracious. Not only do they work very hard in order for us to be successful, but they also take the time to try and teach us a little here and there.

Goodness: This afternoon during recreation time we played water games and a few of the kids were hesitant, but they played anyways with a smile on their faces.

Faithfulness: God is so faithful. I felt Him calling me to missions around this time last summer and so I answered the call and began looking for a mission trip to go on. I found several, but doors kept being shut. Eventually I found the door to Romania and God left it wide open. He guided me here and I have been so blessed because of it.

Gentleness: I was blessed with very sensitive skin and yesterday I was bit by a mosquito under my eye which whelped up. This morning while playing with the preschoolers, one of them saw my eye and started to rub it to make it feel better. She was so sweet.

Self-control: Our sweet three and four year olds have sat patiently the last two days and have done exactly what they have been told during crafts.

These are just a few examples of how the sweet people that we have come in contact with have impacted my life. I am so excited to see what else God has in store for our week and for these kids.

Written by Lauren Hornbeak from Houston, TX.

No comments: