Wednesday, October 19, 2016

A Single Hug!

Today is Wednesday, October 19, and our mission team hit the road for a day full of VBS activities and shoe delivery. We left the hotel lobby at 9:15 for Rozmarin Day Center in Targu Mures. I didn’t believe that after working with the children at the Point of Hope Center for the past two days that there could be any children who could have used the hand of God even more than them. I was proven wrong today when we met the faces of these children. These children so graciously accepted our hugs and smiles. Lance led the team and the children with some hand clapping, praise songs. After enjoying the Bible story about Gideon that Greg and I presented through reading and acting out certain scenes the children loved making their own fleece from construction paper, glue and cotton balls lead by Bev and Tracy. Handing out the shoes is what really touched my heart today.

You could tell that these kids were in need of new shoes and socks. The difference I saw in these children compared to the kids at Point of Hope was the humbling spirit they showed in accepting whatever pair of shoes they were given, as long as they fit. The kids at Point of
Hope have more chances of receiving new shoes throughout the year, therefore, they are just the same as American kids, that is they can be “choosey” in deciding the pair of shoes they are willing to take home with them. A boy around the age of 7 stole my heart when he gave me the biggest hug and wouldn’t let go for the pair of shoes that I helped him try on. Later I found out his name was Andrew, I don’t think I will ever forget his face.


I was sorry to leave this place, but we needed to hit the road again for an after school program in Sighisoara. We were greeted with songs of praise from these children that we could hear outside the building. I tell you, these kids really know how to “rock a place”! Once again our musical team leader, Lance, lead us in songs of praise and hands reaching to the sky. The children enjoyed getting loud with their voices and singing with all their hearts! Greg and I presented the Bible story of Gideon before they had the opportunity to make their own torch from a paper towel tube, plastic cup, aluminum foil and some red, orange and gold tissue paper. The kids really thought this was great! Handing out shoes to these kids was heart tugging too, since it was so obvious that many had not received a new pair for some time.

I truly thank God for calling me to do this mission trip. Yes, I will admit that I felt very uncomfortable when I first arrived. The surroundings here are so different than what I am use to in the USA, but the children here have captured my heart and I want to be able to do so much for them than what my time here allows. I have this overwhelming, amazing feeling of what God is doing here and in the hearts and lives of myself and teammates. Is there any better feeling in the world than to be used by God? I don’t think so. 

No comments: