Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Getting to Really Know the Children!

Melissa Sweenie getting to know the kids
at the Point of Hope Center
 " Hello from Romania!  We are about halfway through our trip.  So much has happened in such a short amount of time.  We have been here at the camp with the kids for 3 days and each day bonds become stronger.  The children are beautiful, inside & out.  They are so loving, kind, funny, and sweet.  We have been given a challenge on this trip to find out the "story" of a child and get to know them better.  I was blessed to talk with 2 young ladies yesterday.  I learned about their families, their background, likes and dislike, and their faith.  I was glad to hear that both girls are believers, and I pray this week strengthen s their faith.  Both girls have obstacles and problems they are facing - broken homes, issues with boys, trying to fit in, etc.  One of the girls didn't own a Bible, so this morning I found her and gave her mine,  We made a deal that if I gave it to her, she had to promise she would read it.  The other girl told me about her struggles and after listening to her, she said "I wish you were my mom." It broke my heart.  If I could I would bring them home with me.  Although I may never see these kids again, They have made a lasting impact on my life.  Sitting together watching a movie this afternoon, I looked around and had this sense of family.  All of us - staff, kids, interpreters, have all bonded so strongly & so quickly.  Our mission team - all 16 of us - have had so many memorable experiences together that we've grown into our own little family.  Each one of them brings their own talents and gifts.  Together we make a complete team.  Love them all.  It will be hard to leave Romania, but I feel confident that God is using us to minister and show His love to these precious kids.  Please keep the rest of our trip in your prayers as we carry out the rest of our mission." - Melissa Sweenie

No comments: